Seitan / Morning Star Crumbles and Eggplant Stir-Fry
2 to 3 bricks seitan, broken up into crumbles or 2 to 3 cups morning star recipe crumbles
1 onion, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
4 chinese eggplant (the long eggplant) or 1 medium italian eggplant (the big, roundish, pear shaped ones)
1/4 cup vegetarian oyster sauce (aka mushroom sauce)
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/4 tsp red chili flakes
1/4 cup olive oil (for frying)
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 tablespoons olive oil
water for soaking eggplant
1. Finely chop onion and garlic. Set aside
2.Cut eggplants in half, lengthwise, then cut eggplants thinly into half-moon shapes. For italian eggplant, cut in half, lengthwise, then cut into 1/3rds (thirds) lengthwise, then cut thinly into half moon or quarter moon slices.
3. Soak eggplant slices in cold water for 5 minutes. Drain and soak in water again for 5 more minutes. Drain and dry completely using paper towels. Set aside.
4. Using 1/4 cup olive oil, deep fry eggplant slices (in batches) to a light golden brown. Remove from oil and set aside
5. In a large saute pan over medium heat, add 1 teaspoon olive oil and lightly saute chopped onions until they are soft. Remove from pan and set aside.
6. Add 2 tablespoons oil into the same pan and cook seitan / morning star crumbles until crispy brown. Break up larger pieces of seitan if you didn't crumble it up prior to frying.
7. Add cooked onion, garlic and saute together for 5 minutes.
8. Add cooked eggplants to the mixture and stir together
9. Add oyster sauce, soy sauce and chili flakes. Stir to combine well.
10. Cover pan and cook for 10 additional minutes.
Serve with rice or pasta or boiled / baked potatoes.